SC - Is beans beans?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Mar 10 17:39:51 PST 1999

<< << I want to use beans, but have not been able to find favas either. Would
  this recipe have been made from the whole bean (bean and pod for want of
  better botanical terms) or from dried beans like the inside or seed part?
 What
  I'm getting at, the long way, is; would the dish be more like the original
  intent by using string beans or dried beans? If dried, what type? >>

 I see a quest for our hearld.. to find a use for fava beans.    >>

I meant to say the quest to find the fava beans..

(spent too long in front of a computer today.. sorry about that.)

I looked up Fava beans in my know it all cook book, this is what it says..

"English Runner beans are close to the fava.. a little larger hulled, with red
streaked seeds.  Fava beans are larger than a pea, or European broad beans and
can be cooked for limas.  If picked early enough, they can be cooked as snap
beans."

It is my opinion that carrots wouldn't make a good subsitute.  I would use
broad beans or limas.  They are period, and would be closer to the origianal
receipe.  Don't stress about it.. those kind of beans are very easy to cook
up.  If they're dried, you'll need a good two day start, only because you'll
need to soak them.

Cait