SC - changing recipes

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Sun Mar 14 05:09:23 PST 1999

At 11:02 PM -0600 3/13/99, Sharon R. Saroff wrote:
>I grew up making cakes for instance whose recipes originally called for
>milk and substituting fruit juice usually orange instead.  Most people like
>the difference when I do it now.  My mother is an experimental cook and
>always tampered with recipes to see what would happen.  She had a knack for
>is though so the food was always good even though we were her guinie pigs.
>That is pretty much how I cook and some of my best recipes come from
>experimenting.  A couple have won A&S competitions.

The question isn't whether you can produce good food that way, but whether
you can produce good medieval food. Our instincts as cooks are based on the
various modern cuisines we eat and cook So when we alter a period recipe in
ways that seem natural to us, we are likely to be shifting it in the
direction of the modern cooking we are familiar with.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com