SC - my medieval dinner party - long

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Sun Mar 14 05:54:00 PST 1999

>  Note also that, since medieval recipes usually contain no quantities, there
is a considerable range over which you are simply making your preferred
guess. Thus your "instead of eight eggs" implies that the original recipe
specified eight eggs--but it probably didn't. If one egg replacer will work,
that is evidence that one egg will work, which makes it plausible that one egg
was what the original used.>>>

Well put!!   When I cook "my own dishes". I throw in this or do that as the
whim and mood suits, but when doing medieval cookery, I've allowed myself to
get uptight (I guess) and not dare change anything, but I guess there really
*is* a lot of latitude in these recipes.  Thanks for reminding me of it!  :-)
Phillipa