SC - Needing help with almond milk

Philip Lewis flip+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 15 11:14:21 PST 1999

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Jennifer Carlson wrote:

> Could someone tell me what is the most efficient device for straining
> almond milk?  The only sieve I own that is fine enough to trap the almond
> grounds is a small one and plugs up with the grounds too quickly to be of
> much use.  Do coffee filters work?  Or should I strain it through a muslin
> bag?  I always wind up using my hands to press the milk out of the grounds,
> and this is neither effiecient, tidy, nor thorough enough for me.

I put a layer of cheesecloth inside my standard seive, and use a spatula
or back of a big spoon to press it out. of course, I can't keep from
snitching bits of the almond paste stuff that's left, so staying clean
isn't really what I'm after. But the spat gives more leverage more evenly
than my fingers do.

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731