SC - Menagier's Champignons

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Tue Mar 16 10:22:17 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> I would be interested in a list of the similarities if at all possible
> detailing the the prohibitions you mention as common between al-Islam and the
> Jewins people. . Thanks in advance.

>From http://www.ifanca.org/halal.htm

> Halal is an Arabic word meaning lawful or permitted, for Muslims.  The
> opposite of Halal is Haram, which means prohibited.  The terms Halal
> and Haram is not limited to foods, however on this website these terms
> will be used strictly for food products, meat products, cosmetics,
> personal care products, food ingredients, and food contact materials.
> Another term to remember is called Mashbooh, which means doubtful or
> questionable.
>
> All foods are considered Halal except the following:
>
> Swine/Pork and its by-products are Haram.
> Animals improperly slaughtered or dead before slaughtering are
>       	Haram.
> Animals killed in the name of anyone other than God are Haram.
> Alcohol and intoxicants are Haram.
> Carnivorous animals, birds of prey and land animals without
>      	external ears are Haram.
> Blood and blood by-products are Haram.
> Food that gets contaminated with any of the above is also
>       	Haram.
> Food containing ingredients such as gelatin, enzymes, emulsifiers,
>  	etc. are Mashbooh or questionable.

Looks _fairly_ similar to Kashrut to me, if different in some specific
detail. The main differences seem to be in the lack of milk/meat and
scale-less/shellfish restrictions in Halal, and the lack of an alcohol
restriction in Kashrut.  Otherwise, most of what is listed above seems
to be included, or is similar to something included, in the Law of
Moses. Considering that both sets of laws probably have a lot to do with
survival in hot and dry climates, it probably makes a good deal of sense
that there should be some similarities.

I just have one question...can anyone think of an herbivorous land
animal without external ears?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy