SC - Kosher Food Laws

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Tue Mar 16 13:08:27 PST 1999

> She's bored at work, and found an interesting site.
> Christianna (and Tara)

Interesting site, but they do make some errors.  Strawberries, for example,
are found in both the New and Old Worlds.  There a several different species
and they display genetic differences, but they are all known by the common
name strawberry.  The commonly available strawberries today are primarily
hybrids from American stock.

They place the cranberry (Vaccinium macrocapon) quite rightly in the New
World, but the related species, V. microcapon and V. vitis-idaea, are
commonly called cranberries and are of Old World origin.

As for the blueberry, the American blueberry is Vaccinium augustifolium.
The European blueberry or bilberry is V. myrtalis.

They are using a tight single species definition for common names, where the
common name is often used to describe more than one species and occasionally
more than one genus.  Which was likely the problem with the sources I was
checking about blackberries.

Bear