SC - St. David's Day/st joe's?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Mar 16 13:05:07 PST 1999

Ras asked the differences, and Adamantius posted a website from which you
could learn about Halal (Muslim food restrictions) - but the site has a
subpage (http://www.ifanca.org/kosher.htm) which compares the two.  I append
the text, and make a few comments below.

Is Kosher Really Halal?

 Disclaimer
                       Halal has the same meaning for Muslims as Kosher has
for the Jews.  Although
                       there are some similarities between Halal and Kosher,
there are, however,
                       many distinct differences between the two.

                       Some of the differences are as follows:

                            Islam prohibits all intoxicating alcohols,
liquors, and wines, whereas
                            Judaism regards alcohol and wines as Kosher.
Hence Kosher foods may
                            contain alcohol, hence they are not halal.
                            Gelatin is considered Kosher by many Jews
regardless of its source of
                            origin. For Muslims, if gelatin is prepared from
swine it is not Halal.
                            There are clear differences as well as in the
slaughtering of animals. Jews
                            do not pronounce the name of God on the animals
while slaughtering, but
                            muslims on the other hand must pronounce the
name of Allah on all
				Animals while slaughtering.
                            There may be other differences between Halal and
Kosher that make the
                            Kosher questionable for Muslims to consume.

                       For complete information, please write to IFANCA.

Most Jews who are observant do NOT consider "any" gelatin kosher.  You can
buy packets of kosher gelatin in the kosher foods aisle, and this is made
ONLY from approved animals.  I think they have to be ones who are kosher,
not merely cattle, also.

"Vegetarian gelatin," or agar, is of course pareve.

I have not witnessed the appropriate slaughter, but I assure you if any Name
is spoken during the act, it would not be "Allah."  And speaking a name does
not make the act as humane as kosher laws require it to be.

They are right about the alcohol.

									---=
Margo Lynn (the Jewish persona)

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
<mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com> Hablutzel at compuserve.com
	                      Morgan Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	      For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!