SC - Kosher Foods

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 15:39:25 PST 1999

Here is some quick info on cochineal:

Cochineal extract is a coloring extracted from the eggs of the
cochineal beetle, which lives on cactus plants in Peru, the Canary
Islands, and elsewhere. Carmine is a more purified coloring made
from cochineal. In both cases, the actual substance that provides the
color is carminic acid. These colorings, which are extremely stable,
are used in some red, pink, or purple candy, yogurt, Campari, ice
cream, beverages, and many other foods, as well as drugs and
cosmetics. These colorings have caused allergic reactions that range
from hives to life-threatening anaphylactic shock. It is not known
how many people suffer from this allergy. The Food and Drug
Administration should ban cochineal extract and carmine or, at the
very least, require that they be identified clearly on food labels so
that people could avoid them. Natural or synthetic substitutes are
available. A label statement should also disclose that, Carmine is
extracted from dried insects so that vegetarians and others who
want to avoid animal products could do so.

http://www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcuisine.htm#Cancer