SC - Seeking information on NW PA

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 16:26:02 PST 1999

>Elysant, could I please have recipes for the Lamb Stew with leeks and
>Welshcakes?  Thanks, Leanna of Sparrowhaven

Certainly!  And thank you for asking!

The recipe for the Lamb stew is similar to the one I posted a few weeks ago
(for those list members who have that). That recipe was from a cookbook,
whereas the following recipe is how I was taught to make it. I've included
some common variations on serving the dish at the end.

		Cawl Cennin Cymraeg - Welsh Lamb Stew with Leeks
Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs neck of lamb
2 - 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1/3 - 1/2 swede peeled and diced
2 - 3 parsnips peeled and diced
3 - potatoes, peeled and cut up into 1" by 1" pieces
2 leeks chopped into 1/2 inch slices
fresh parsley
salt and white pepper to taste
Tablespoon of butter to saute vegetables in

Note: Usually these days potatoes and swedes are added, which would make the
stew OOP.  Also, the ingredient amounts are estimated, as you go by your own
taste and judgement as to how much of everything you want to put in it.

Method
Put the neck of lamb pieces into a large pot of salted water.  Bring to the
boil and skim off the scum from the surface.  Saute the prepared swedes,
carrots, and parsnips in the butter in a saute pan, then add them to the pot.
Twenty minutes later add the potatoes.  Cook over a moderate heat until all
vegetables are tender.  Add more water if the level is going down. (The longer
you cook this the better it tastes - especially if you re-heat the left overs
for another meal later). :-)

10 minutes or so before the end of the cooking time, add the leeks. Add
seasoning to taste.  When the stew is done, remove the all the lamb and bones
from the pot, and while keeping the stew on a low heat, cut up the meat, and
discard the bones.

You can then either return the meat to the pot to serve, or you can keep it
to serve alongside the stew on a seperate plate (some people do that).

Just before you serve the stew, add some fresh parsley to the pot.

Some families also boil a few potatoes and serve the stew by first putting a
potato in the bottom of the dish, cutting it up, then pouring the stew over
the potato to serve.  This way is also common in Iceland.

Garnish the stew with more fresh parsley to serve.

Some families and high end restaurants add a swirl of cream to the pot with
the parsley, or to the dish before garnishing it with the parsley.

Here's the recipe for Welshcakes that I've been using of late.  I have 2 other
versions, one more fancy, but this is the most authentic.

				Welsh Cakes

These quantities will make about 2 dozen Welshcakes.  If kept in an airtight
container, they can last for several weeks.

Ingredients
1/2 lb. self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 lb margarine
1 egg
3 oz sugar
2 -3 oz sultanas (raisins)

Method
Rub margarine into flour.  Add sugar, mixed spice and sultanas.  Add beaten
eggs.  Combine to form a soft dough.  Roll out on a floured board to 1/4 inch
thickness and use 2 - 2 1/2 inch round pastry cutter.  Cook cakes on greased
griddle-stone (griddle) until light golden brown on both sides.

Sprinkle with sugar to serve.

Understand that usually Welshcakes are more of a tea time or snack type food
than a dessert.  I think they're best with a hot cup of tea (with milk and
sugar in of course). :-)

Elysant