SC - St. David's Day recipes

snowfire@mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Thu Mar 18 14:42:50 PST 1999

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> As I understand it, the nectarine (Prunus persica nectarina) is a naturally
> occurring smooth skinned peach of ancient origin, not a modern genetic
> cross.

I heard more or less the same thing, except I understood it to be a
plum. Upon checking with Harold McGee, however, I find he comes out on
Bear's side.

"The nectarine is a fuzzless variety of peach, and this is the major
difference between the two, although nectarines also tend to be smaller.
The fuzzy trait is genetically dominant. Nectarines and peaches can
develop from each other spontaneously as mutations from seed or as bud sports."
				_On Food and Cooking_, Harold McGee, Scribner's, New York, 1984

Adamantius, feeling much better about the doctors of his own faith after
their little faux pas about eating porpoise in Lent
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com