SC - retained practices

snowfire@mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Fri Mar 19 19:42:24 PST 1999

In a message dated 3/19/1999 6:48:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:

> >  >We need to tan some intestines.
>  >  >

>  Why?
>
>  Mordonna

Leather balloon animals maybe? Long thin leather sleeves? Primitive garden (or
fire) hoses? Period looking boffers? It's a mystery Cuz.

The question IS pertinent Phlip, because the ultimate use would dictate the
tanning method. Of course, you probably weren't told what they were doing with
it.

Given we don't know the use, I'd check with Tandy Leather. They have (or had)
a tanning kit. I'm just not sure just oiling would do it, especially given
what was in the intestines before they were gathered. I'd boil them and wash
them thoroughly first,  Stretch them while wet to dry, maybe salt them, then
look into a tanning kit.

Corwyn