SC - SC Eggs Question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Mar 21 05:33:10 PST 1999

>From: david friedman <ddfr at best.com>
>To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
>Subject: Re: SC - Ideal vs. practical
>Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:28:14 -0800

>I responded:
>
>>>Recipes from period cookbooks don't cost any more to make than modern
>>>recipes using similar ingredients. Or were you using "afford" in a
>>broader
>>>sense, to include not only costs in money but also the cost in time
and
>>>effort of learning medieval recipes?
>
>She replied:
>
>>Yes, also cost in time and effort, but also cost in money.  The
example
>>that started this discussion was a prime example.
>
>That was an example of a particular dish which was more costly to do in
>more period fashion. But you were talking about feeding your
camp--which
>doesn't require you to feed them gourds.
>
>You can feed your camp just as cheaply (in money and cooking time) with
>period recipes as with modern recipes--the only extra cost is locating
and
>working out the recipes. Our favorite Pennsic dish is a 13th c.
Andalusian
>lentil dish, which is probably less expensive to make than what most
people
>at SCA camping events cook, since the main ingredients are lentils and
eggs
>(served over rice).  Another couple of favorites are two Andalusian
frying
>pan pastries, where the main ingredients are flour, water, butter,
honey,
>and (in one of them) eggs.
>
>David/Cariadoc
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

I fear that I need to clarify myself.  Most of what I was talking about
was the SCA in general.  Our group has had many discussions on wether or
not we should have a period encampment.  Much of the debate centered
around the kids in our household.  It's easier to have things around
like instant oatmeal (for breakfast) and things that the kids can fix
themselves.
I totally agree that if it is at all possible, then things should be
done totally period.  We always do what we can period and everything
else is covered up to the best of our abilities.
The whole idea of the SCA is to try to recreat the middle ages.  I don't
have a lot of respect for people in the SCA who don't at least make a
good effort to be period.  That is why I joined this list.  I usually
don't do a lot of cooking for our camp, but I want to change that. The
people in my camp don't have a lot of period recipies and I thought that
I would be able to get some on this list, and get answers to any
questions I had about period cooking.

Lady Estria