SC - FW: food lecturer wanted

WOLFMOMSCA@aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Mon Mar 22 12:52:55 PST 1999

Estria writes:

<< Yes, also cost in time and effort, but also cost in money.  The example
 that started this discussion was a prime example.

 Estria >>

My good lady, believe me, I sympathize!  I too have struggled most of my
life with shoestring budgets and trying to figure out where to fit in the
taste-testing of dishes has been difficult at best.

One solution I found was to substitute one period experiment for an
ordinary dinner about once a week.  For example, making 'macrows' as a main
dish for dinner instead of spaghetti; or making coneys in cirop (and
substituting 79-cent-a-pound chicken for the coneys) and serving that with
the regular rice or potatoes or whatever you'd have with baked chicken for
a Sunday dinner.

Pretty soon I had a decent repertoire of period and period-ish dishes that
I knew how to cook and had an idea of how to adjust the flavors, without
that feeling of guilt that accompanies overspending your family food
budget.

Of course, I don't have kids; and I'm aware that adds an extra level of
complications.  Maybe involving your kids in the cooking process, so it
will be more special to them and they'll want to eat it?  Or maybe offering
them a deal:  Try two bites, and if you don't like it you can have a hot
dog?

At any rate, believe me, it IS hard to learn period cooking on a budget,
but it can be done.  I wish you luck!

Best regards,

	- kat