SC - Meat Salads

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Mar 28 13:35:59 PST 1999

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> << Also available in June are melons and some early plums, etc.
> Melons? Which variety of melons  come ready in June? Our local climate is the
> equivalent of Germany or Ireland and the closet we can come to having a melon
> ready is mid-August IF we plant an exytra early small vatriety. Thanks in
> advance.

Well, I suspect that they are California melons, but honeydew and
cantelopue are usually at reasonable prices in early June here in Oregon-
I remember eating some the day my son was born (June 2). Local melons
start showing up mid-July, and the best watermelons, Hermiston melons,
make the ride over the passes in late july- mid August. I like to put out
a bowl of cubed melons with a little salt and rosewater for grazing on hot
afternoons at tourneys. Fighters love the stuff.

Someone else suggested asking the local u-pick farms- a fine idea. But
don't overlook imports. I prefer Oregon produce when it is available, but
California produce (or even from Texas sometimes) is usually as cheap
(somtimes cheaper, such as strawberries) as local fare, and I'm not proud-
and neither is my tummy!

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731