SC - Dairy Products (long) - was: Bread and Circuses, was: Citrus Fruit ...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 9 18:04:48 PST 1999

"James L. Matterer" wrote:

>> The text accompanying the picture says "Man spooning out butter." It is
> from the Tacuinun Santitatis. The opening word calligraphed on the
> period picture is "Butium." My latin is not so good - is this butter?
>
> Huen

That would be the Liege Tacuinum, #36, which is captioned "Butirum".
Yes, that's butter. As for why it is suspended over a fire, one
possibility is that what we are seeing being vended is clarified butter.
Another possibility is that this butter is made along the lines of
clotted cream, slightly soured and heated to break the emulsion, and
then lifted off the surface.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy