SC - Kosher v. Halal

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Tue Mar 16 16:41:23 PST 1999

I feel I should make a couple of corrections as far as what is noted below
because there are some inaccuracies.

First gelatin is not kosher unless it is vegetable gelatin.  THis is one of
the reasons why there are kosher markings called Hashkachas on food.  This
help people to guard against unknowing eating unkosher ingredients.

Second, though I don't know the actual blessing, there is a blessing
pronounced when one shechts (slaughters) an animal.  As I noted earlier, my
grandfather was a Shochet.  I also verified this with a friend who was
trained in this area.

Margo Lynn is somewhat correct in the corrections she makes although I have
never seen any gelatin labeled kosher that is made from an animal.

Sindara