SC - Ideal vs. practical

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Mar 21 11:40:57 PST 1999

>Our group has had many discussions on wether or
>not we should have a period encampment.  Much of the debate centered
>around the kids in our household.  It's easier to have things around
>like instant oatmeal (for breakfast) and things that the kids can fix
>themselves.

Whether that is an easily soluble problem depends partly on the kids. There
are lots of period things for breakfast that kids can fix for themselves,
starting with last night's leftovers. We always have a big container of
currant cakes (actually from a 17th c. recipe, but close), along with
things like bread, dried fruit, gingerbread, khushkananaj, all of which our
kids like eating. Sekanjabin is just as easy as fruit juice--and more
portable, since you bring the syrup and add water.

You might try making some suitable period things at home, and see if there
are ones the kids like. Our kids are pretty picky eaters--but at this point
we know what period foods they enjoy, as do they.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/