SC - REC: Pig's trotters

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Mar 27 14:26:19 PST 1999

Trotters are the pig's feet, in the rural south of my childhood they were
and probably still are sold in a large jars bearing the label "pickled pig's
feet".   In my mind's eye I seem to recall one place where those disembodied
pink little hoofettes floated in the jar on the counter along side a jar of
pickled eggs and one of hot sausages.   All of the delicacies, as I recall,
were submerged in liquids of a uniform and particularly vile reddish hue.
It was my remembrance that in such establishments you could get any of the
above plucked right out of the jar as the perfect accompaniment to your six
pack to go. Regarding "other cold meat" I've got no clue.