SC - Sekanjabin+Rose or Violet

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Tue May 4 23:31:54 PDT 1999

Food is not my area of concern, but as to other possible flowers to eat,
consider:
>>Nasturium (Tropaeolum Tropaeolacceae) of the cress family---has a good
radish flavor
>>Daylilly (Hemerocallis) pick just that day's blooms for best
service---great in stir-fry
>>Tulip (Tulipa) the petals are good to serve under finger foods and spreads
>>Pansy (Viola tricolor hortensis) of the Violet family...I asume the tiny
flowered variety would be period.

As I say, I'm not a foods expert, so if you know any reason NOT to use any
of these, let us all know.  But I have enjoyed eating three of these without
complaint (never tried Tulip).  The Nasturtiums go great in a green salad,
adding wonderful specks of colors along with a good flavor.  I have no idea
about the leaves or bulbs of these plants.  (Cat-tail root tastes like
cucumber, and the dry pollen from the "flower" makes a self rising agent in
flour for camping.)  And of course, while you're in the swamp collecting
cat-tail, get some marsh-marigolds for candy making...boil it down and beat
with sugar.  Lemonade from sweet sumac flowers (the red ones ONLY---white
are poison sumac, I'm told)...

As to the discussion of buying pig for Pennsic, our Shire (Hunter's Home) is
in the New Castle area, and our sister shire (Sunderoak) is from Butler.
(Yes, some of us live ten minutes from camp...)  We had a pig roast last
year, which was supplied by one of our group.  Maybe he could help secure
pigs for others, too???  Post any questions, or mail me at
lunawood at infonline.net
Hope I can help.
Efron le Fey