SC - Pipkins are?

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed May 5 01:52:23 PDT 1999

Bonne wrote:
>The Irish ate seaweeds, perhaps one of those is a thickener.  I beleive one
>is, though I can't recall the name of it, and none of the packaged food
>products I can read the labels on here are jogging my memory.  My "source"
>for this is an Irish cookbook at the local library.  The intro has a history
>of food on the island.  Credibility, unknown. But there you are.
>
>I have a mundane cookbook at home, "The Vegetarian Lunchbox" (maybe
>Lunchbasket) which has a cutesy-poo "turtle salad" recipe.  Pea puree set up
>with something like agar, then scooped up so that is is vaguely turtle shell
>shaped, then decorated with olives etc. Never tried it, but if you use agar
>and think it would save you a couple of experimental steps, I can get it to
>you.

Is the seaweed you're thinking of carageenan?

I love these funny food recipes - there's that wonderful children's
halloween/witch book that was mentioned in a previous thread, which i have,
with the worm soup and things like that, although they have nothing to do
with medieval food...

well, some are sort of like "subtleties" now that i think on it...

Lilinah