SC - lemon syrup

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu May 6 13:08:39 PDT 1999

SECARAM at mainsaver.com writes:

<< And now I have this vision of vast herds of chickens darkening the primeval
 plain...

 MaggiRos >>

You woundn't be too far off. Most of the urban/suburban denizens of the list
are always forgetting that the MA were peoples by an agricultural society. I
have absolutely no surprise at hearing that eggs were in the top 2 source of
protien foods duing that era. Many of the feast discriptions we have use
60000 or more eggs for the entire series of meals. Virtually every household
would have had at least a few chickens in the yard as wellas a pig or 2 even
city folks.

Think apricultural and you will seldom find many surprises in descriptions of
medieval life. Certainly some  folks lived in cities but they were a decided
minority and most likely had an herb garden and chickens as wellas a dovecot.
We  moderns have unnaturally divorced ourselves from a lifestyle that was
virtually universal up until a hundred years ago.

Ras