SC -gelatinous properties, was chessboards

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Fri May 7 15:20:16 PDT 1999

On Thu, 06 May 1999 00:50:11 -0500 Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
writes:
>Margarite asked:
snip
>> Is the poaching method of preparing eggs Period?
>This did make me curious so I looked eggs up in Waverly Root's "Food".
snip
>"During the Renaissance, eggs were the chief food (and in some places
>almost the only one) eaten in addition to meat. [wonder what he bases
>this on???]

Certainly not based on Martino, Platina, etc.!

>"The historian Benedetto Varchi produced a treatise on boiled eggs
>early in the sixteenth century." [Wonder if this would make a good
>translation project for someone who knows Latin (or Italian?) ?]
>
>"...and in the seventeenth the renowned French cook Pierre Francois
>de la Varenne wrote a cookbook containing sixty different recipes
>for eggs." [Maybe another interesting translation project, but
>perhaps a bit late unless there is some proof that some of these
>recipes might date from earlier times.]

Varenne is already translated.  Falconwood Press put out an English
version, which you may still be able to find at Alban St.
Alban's--Potboiler Press?  at Pennsic.Frontispieces says " Written in
French by M. De La Varenne, Clerk of the Kitchen to the Lord Marquesse of
Uxelles, and now Englished by I.D.G. London, Printed for Charls [sic]
Adams, and are to be sold....1653.

I really like a lot of the recipies in in.  A good many of the recipies
are unchanged from period versions, others follow the 16thc. trend to the
lighter type of cooking, and to the 'made dishes' with vegetables rather
than mostly just stewing them.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA