SC - Seville oranges

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Fri May 7 22:16:10 PDT 1999

LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> The earliest sources have fewer vegetable recipes, by far, than the late
> period sources.  Master A, do you do mostly late period feasts, or do you
> incorporate later recipes in with earlier feasts?  I can't say that I am
> 'bored' with my winter's experiments, because they are good foods, but
> I'm certainly ready for something besides leeks, beans, peas and cabbage
> in all their manifestations.
>
> Which veggies do you like and what variety do you find for all your
> feasts?

No, I do mostly early period (well, what's most easily doumented early
period food is really basically High Medieval / Gothic, but you probably
know what I mean...I occasionally do later stuff for an annual event
that always poses problems for documentation, that being our annual
Celtic Silliness (now one of the older annual events in the Knowne
World, we being the oldest group in the East)

There are several vegetable pottages, in both meat and meatless forms,
in Le Menagier de Paris, while Taillevent speaks of them but doesn't
give recipes ("since any housewife knows how to make them"). There's an
excellent dish of Leeks in Almond Milk Sauce in, I believe, Le Menagier
and also Chiquart's "Du Fait de Cuisine".

Ones I've made and enjoyed include pottage-y stews of buttered spinach
(if you do it right it becomes, essentially, creamed spinach, not just
spinach with butter) kale, beet greens, turnip greens, mustard greens,
watercress puree (yum!), parsley puree, sorrell puree, various mixtures
of the above, warm salads like Brussels Sprouts lightly blanched and
sprinkled with vinegar and oil (vinegar goes on last to preserve the
color somewhat, and don't overcook!)

Asparagus, fennel stew with or without sops, chick pea puree, fava bean
puree, fried whole favas, several varieties of mushrooms cooked in
various ways, carrots, parsnips (pureed, boiled in chunks with butter,
salt, pepper, and sugar, parsnip fritters, etc.) turnips (roasted before
or after peeling, dressed while warm with vinaigrette and mondo chopped
herbs), carrots in various forms, boiled garlic on sops, various
chestnut dishes in season...

I could go on...

I used to be able to order some pretty exotic vegetables and fruits
pretty much at cost from my local greengrocer (who was also open 24-7,
closed only on Christmas!) but he was forced to close down when the
Transit Authority decided they needed a lumber storage facility for some
construction. I now get them from a place in Manhattan (the one in New
York City, not Kansas) called Fairway (sort of a gourmet/specialty
food/restaurant supply house without the attitude, and prices to reflect
that), whenever possible in increments of 1 case. I still find myself
occasionally having to buy more produce in the supermarket than I'd
like, though.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy