SC - Blanc Desire???

WOLFMOMSCA@aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Sat May 8 06:08:53 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Domina Vesta Antonia Aurelia when asked about her Libum loaves
> recipe, gave it. One of her comments was:
> > I served it with bewined honey, and honey with anise.
>
> Anyone know what "bewined" honey is? Is this honey with anise,
> honey that you soak anise seed? star anise? in for awhile? Or
> something bought already flavored?

I'm not sure what bewined honey, but I'd guess it's a mixture of wine
and honey, while the honey with anise might be a separate entity of
honey flavored with anise seeds (I'd heat it and steep the seeds in it
for a while, then strain and cool). The anise seeds used in period
Europe are the ordinary anise seeds, related to caraway and cumin, as
well as carrots. Star anise is, I believe, an unrelated plant.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com