SC - SC-Hen Pecked

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sat May 8 09:09:27 PDT 1999

On Fri, 7 May 1999  MAGGIE SECARA writes:
>I believe that a seaweed called "dulse" is/was common as a food in the
>Hebrides
>Cheers!
>Maggie

DOH!  Of course!  There is a candy called "Dulsy the Yellowman" on the
cover of the pamphlet for the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland.
There is a fair there that dates to the early 1600's, and it is
traditionally served there.  The flyer says (yup, just went and dug out
my pictures from our trip)  "Dulsy the Yellowman depicted in this
brochure originates from the two delicacies, dulse and Yellowman,
features of the "Ould Lammas Fair", held on the last Monday and Tuesday
of August in Ballycastle."
	And then, I got out my "Favorite Irish Recipies" book I got there, and
there is a recipie for yellowman (a yellow, brittle toffee) and for *ta
da*  Carageen Pudding.  No dates here, but it is a start.

Carageen Pudding
>From "Favorite Irish Recipies - Traditional Fare from the Emeral Isle"
Carageen is a seaweed found around the coast of Ireland.  Also known as
Sea Moss or Irish Moss, it is full of minerals and has considerable
gelatinous properties.

1 1/2 oz. dried carageen
Juice and grated rind of a lemon
1 dessertspoon thick honey
1 pint cold water
1/4 pint double cream
1 egg white
Whipped cream and lemon slices to decorate

Place the carageen in a basin and cover with hot water.  Leave to soak
for 20 minutes, discard the water and drain the carageen well.  Place in
a saucepan with the lemon juice and rind and honey, pour in the cold
water and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the honey completely,
then simmer for 30 minutes.  Strain the liquid into a basin and allow to
cool completely when it should have the consistancy of a beaten egg.
Whisk the cream until it is thick and fold in.  Whisk the egg white until
it stands up in soft peaks and fold into the carageen mixture.  Rinse a 1
1/2 to 2 pint mould with cold water, pour in the carageen mixture and
chill until set.  Turn out on to a serving dish and serve decorated with
whipped cream and lemon slices.  Serves 4 to 6.
Dried carageen can be obtained from many health food shops and when used
it imparts a fresh flavour without any taste of the sea.