SC - accommodating at feasts

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Mon May 10 19:07:50 PDT 1999

Actually, I think the OED considers anything published to be an
official source; have you checked out their web site?  It explains a
lot about their "readers" program -- they have hundreds (thousands?) of
people who send in contextual references for words, and are still
compiling them to use in the new third ELECTRONIC edition currently in
progress.  I don't think you'd have to jump through too many hoops to
be made an official "reader" for them, they've always had lots of lay
help with this.  They know they can't find every reference, such a work
is never truly finished, and if you'd rather be able to say "I
contributed to the latest edition of the OED" than "I know stuff that
isn't in the OED," I personally would be grateful since the OED IS the
first place I'd look, myself.

And out of curiosity -- what kind of vested interest do you have in
discrediting the OED?

Harriet
http://www.oed.com