SC - subtelety HELP!!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue May 11 04:20:57 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/11/99 12:30:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ddendy at silk.net
writes:

<< Surely your part of the world is not so benighted that it does not have a
 public library?  I don't know about there, but where I live any public
 library except the smallest system has a set of the OED, available for
 consultation free to any user. (And there are published microprinted
 versions of the OED, at not insignificant but not unbelievable prices, which
 can be purchased for home use) >>

All of this true but do you run to the libray everytime you want to look up a
word? The OED was excessible through universities sites on-line instantly
until Dec. That acecess was cut off for tjhose not paying for the privelege
of gaining knowledge. That is what I view as a grievous wrong.

With over half of American households having web access there is no reason
that the resources of library cannot be made to everyone on-line. When one of
those resources is offered for a short while and then snatched awy, I find it
appalling. I also find it offensive that the priveleged few have free access
while others must go out of their way to get access. This is not the
universities fault. They offered it freely but were forced to sign a
restrictive use contract to be able to use the on-line version. The onus lies
squarely on the shoulders of the publishers of this dictionary.

Ras