SC - Fw: Re: - Celery - LONG POST

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue May 11 20:46:04 PDT 1999

I just referred to my latest copy of the Daedalus Books Catalog (mostly
remaindered books)(http://www.daedalusbooks.com), which lists the
Compact OED (the micro-print one) for $275.00 (list $375.00).  While
this is by no stretch of the imagination within the means of all -- or
even most -- of us, it should be within the means of most libraries of
any size, and is definitely within the means of a fund-raiser or
collection among SCA types for a donation to a local library.  They
also list The New Shorter OED, 2 vols., which is described as "not
strictly an abridgement of the OED" and appears from the description to
leave out more of the older context quotes, and possibly words no
longer in common usage, though I haven't seen it.  Still, while this
would be much less useful, at $95.00 (list $135.00), it might be worth
looking at.

Just a thought.  I wonder if we could get quantity pricing?  Can an
educational NPO officially raise funds to purchase books to donate to
public libraries?  Or would it have to be done strictly outside the
official SCA function, though most likely within SCA membership?  I
know you don't even want to get within smelling distance of any
financial impropriety when dealing with the IRS.

- -- Harriet