SC - Nonsense re Authenticity, personal recipes, etc.

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 13 23:08:18 PDT 1999

The question of tomatoes just came up on the Tavern Yard, and I was
pasting snips of conversations from here for the answer I was sending.
In the process, I ran across this recipie, that I thought would go well
with Adamantius' ground sirloin patties.

There is this about tomatoes in Gerard's Herball, 1633 edition, pages
345-347:

"Poma Amoris. Apples of Loue.
...In Spaine and those hot Regions they vse to eat the Apples prepared
and boiled with pepper, salt, and oile: but they yeeld very little
nourishment to the bodie, and the same nought and corrupt.
*Likewise they doe eat the Apples with oile, vineger and pepper mixed
together for sauce to their meate, euen as we in these cold Countries doe
Mustard."*

Ok, tomatoes, oil, vinegar, pepper, mixed together for a sauce on meat,
as those in the cold countries use mustard.   What could this be?
Hmmm.....