SC - Sources, not sauces... slightly OT

Dottie Elliott macdj at flash.net
Sun May 16 03:20:13 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Thsi sounds like it works on the same principle as storing things in
> honey - keeping air and microbes away for the food. But doesn't the
> whey itself go bad?

In a way, yes, it does. Generally it becomes "infected" with
lactobacilli, causing it to turn into a semi-clear, sour liquid, looking
and acting something like a cross between yogurt and vinegar.

> Is this whey generally from goat's, sheep or cow's
> milk? What other foods were stored this way?

The biggie, I'd say, would be cheese, and this is fairly widespread. In
Iceland, where the natural history, if you know what I mean (as I'm
certain Lady Nanna does), is somewhat different from the rest of Europe
(the closest would be, what, Finland?), I'd have no idea what else
_would_ be preserved in this acidic liquid, but I'd assume just about
anything one might want to pickle _could_ be preserved in this way.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com