SC - whey preserved foods (long)

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sun May 16 15:45:45 PDT 1999

> Don´t think so. Our top food historian says she has frequently asked
> collegues from around the world if they know of this technique in other
> cultures and no one has ever heard of it. - I´m not sure if this would
> work
> in a warmer climate, maybe if the barrel was kept deep down in a cold
> cellar. In summer, when I was a child, the syra was icy cold, never mind
> how
> hot it was (not that it ever got very hot but it was the only cold drink
> available before refrigeration).
>
> Nanna

I've got a few questions about whey preservation and the cellar.

In the arctic regions I have been in, permafrost, permanently frozen
sub-soil is common.  Cellars dug into permafrost often act as refrigerators
as long as the are insulated from external heat sources, such as heated
house.  Does Iceland have permafrost and are the cellars seperate from the
house?

Adamantius commented about the lactobacillus in the whey.  The lactobacillus
I am familiar with (in sourdough), produce acetic acid when they are in an
aerobic environment and produce lactic acid when they are in an anaerobic
environment.  Is there any information about the types and concentrations of
acid in the whey pickling process?

Bear