SC - Help for demo

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun May 16 16:53:55 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/16/99 6:58:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rygbee at montana.com writes:

<< I have a picture of a 3500-yr-old copper frying pan (found in a book on
 copper).
 Raoghnailt Marie Béatrix de la Barbe >>

Although the SCA proper doesn't have astarting time, I think 3500 yrs. is a
stretch for inclusion in 'period' as we describe it. :-) However, the Romans
had frying pans as evidenced by their being found in Pompeii. There are also
frying pan type objects to be seen in some medieval illustrations. Using the
pig example, there are times when scholars tend to ignore one medium in favor
of the one which most supports their personal theories. In this case,
pictoral and archeolgical evidence may support a conclusion that frying was
common but text information is sorely lacking. In the pig case we have text
to proof the point and pictoral information that appears to portray the
opposite. I think it is more of a matter of choosing your poison, as it were.
;-)

Ras