SC - Fw: [Mid] Tragic News

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun May 16 17:42:06 PDT 1999

Apropos Lord Ras's question about the 30 - 40  whole cloves,  I take it to
mean that the whole cloves are a  decorative touch and the sugar just a way
to temper the "bite" of the other spices.
Phillipa
GINGERBREAD

1c honey
1c breadcrumbs
1t ginger
1/4t pepper (I used the pinch method)
1/4t saunders (sandlewood)  I omitted this because I was in a hurry and
didn't have any
1T sugar
30-40 whole cloves or 5t sugar and a pinch of powdered cloves

Bring honey to a boil, simmer two or three minutes, stir in breadcrumbs with
a spatula until uniformly mixed.  Remove from heat, stir in ginger, pepper
and saunders.  When it is cool enough to handle, knead it to get spices
thoroughly mixed.  Put it in a box (square plastic container with a lid),
squish it flat and thin (it REALLY says squish), sprinkle with sugar and put
cloves ornamentally around the edge.  Leave it to let clove flavor sink in;
do not eat the cloves.

An alternative wy of doing it (this is the way I did it) is to roll into
small balls, roll in sugar mixed with a pinch of cloves.

[Cariadoc's transcript of the original recipe is as follows:

To make ginerbrede.  Tanke goode honey & clarifie it on the fere & take
fayre paynemayn or wastel brede & grate it & caste it into the boylenge hony
& stere it weel togyder faste with a sklyse that it bren not to the vessell.
& panne take it doun and put therein ginger, longe pepper & saundres, &
tempere it up with thin hands & than put hem to a flatt boyste & strawe
thereon suger & pick therein clowes rounde aboute by the egge and in the
mydes, yf it plece you, & c.]

When I made it, the mixture seemed alittle runny, so we added some extra
breadcrumbs.