SC - A midsummer nights feast(OOP- slightly)

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Tue May 18 10:35:04 PDT 1999

	Folks

	I am putting together a 'feast' for 20 or 30 friends in June and was
wondering if you had any suggestions about balancing the menu more
effectively - it's still a work in progress. You are the most knowledgeable
listgroup I'm on about cooking generally so ...... : )

	 *pretty please? I'll bring a hamper to the rock : )*

	The brief for the meal is to go for 'best of british' with a
traditional/historical slant to it ( many of the attendees are re-enactors
etc) but it is not required to be strictly period. I am collecting a lot of
the recipes from older recipe books, like Mrs Beetons, Margaret Dodsons (eek
is that right?) and so on, but will have a lot of victorian influence. The
aim is to start eating circa 6.30- 7pm and to finish circa 2 am - gently
does it, of course. I hope it is okay to post this here, as a result!

	*First Course
	Tarte de brye
	?? something light to accompany/improve presentation - a change on
'salad' would be appreciated??

	*Second course
	Nettle soup
	Fresh bread & butter

	*Third course
	A selection of seafood ( langoustines, tiger prawns, scallops,
winkles, etc fresh from cornwall ) on a herby salad ( rocket, various wild
herbs, watercress etc) with a sweet pepper sauce.
	( I might substitute the lobster back in here if it re-becomes
viable cost wise - thanks for the great ideas earlier - the sauce is a bit
dubious, any period sauces people can recommend?  )
	Lemon fingerbowls

	*Fourth course
	Game Pie
	A good redcurrant sauce?? other fruit sauce?
	Asparagus spears  (sauce??)
	Baked Ham?????

	* Fifth course
	Elderflower Sorbet
	Mint sorbet or Earl Grey Sorbet??? other flavour basically

	*Sixth Course
	Jugged Rabbit
	Dumplings
	??

	* Seventh course
	Roast Duck OR Roast Venision ( probably 1/2 duck each)
	??
	??

	* Eight course
	Salad Elona ( slices of strawberries and cucumbers arranged in
patterns and dowsed with bubbly(probably Freixenet/other cava since it is
much better value than  champagne)

	* Ninth course
	Cream Hearts with a fruits of the forest coulis  ( mascapone, double
cream, lots of sugar & vanilla)
	Summer Pudding served with whipped cream
	Apple snow with cobblers and cream

	* Tenth Course
	Soteltie Cake - insert appropriate birthday cake for one of the
attendees (thankfully being handled by someone else, as I am hopeless at
design!)

	* Eleventh Course
	Cheese Board - Stilton, mature farmhouse cheddar , other good
farmhouse english cheeses
	Water biscuits
	Celery

	* Twelfth course
	coffee
	Handmade chocolate truffles and mints.

	Comments? suggestions?

	i haven't really thought about drinks but it would be nice to
produce those as well. I've tried to spread the cooking load so that we can
prep in advance, I only have a small domestic kitchen to work in, and we are
hoping to beg/borrow/steal alot of crockery so that we can dish up in
advance of serving and carry straight to table in portions - that way
portions can be quite small and you don't end up blowing out halfway through
the feast.

	many thanks,

	karin