SC - The past weekend's feast

Lady Elisabeth pndarvis at execpc.com
Tue May 18 10:44:08 PDT 1999

Although we've spoken about seaweed being eaten by various cultures, I thought
I'd share the Welsh way with you all.

Elysant

In Wales Seaweed is called "Laverbread" in English, and "Bara Lawr" in Welsh.
Laver (Lawr) is a kind of edible seaweed found on the south and western shores
of Wales and England.  (I don't know where else it grows, or what the Latin
name is - sorry).  Bara Lawr has a distinctive sea-salt taste.  Once tried,
re-sampling it is usually first on the list of "must do's" for visitors
returning to the area.

To prepare and cook Bara Lawr you gather and wash the seaweed well to remove
all sand.  Boil it for hours,  Mix it with fine oatmeal and form it into small
cakes.  These are fried, preferably in bacon fat, and are excellent for
breakfast.

They can be offered with bacon for breakfast or with mixed grills (bacon,
sausage, mushrooms, kidney)

Ways with Laverbread

(It is a tradition not to use an iron pan or metal spoon.  Use wooden spoons
or silver fork or spoon, and an aluminium saucepan).

1.  Heat a tablespoonful of butter in pan, put in Laverbread and a squeeze of
    lemon juice, and serve on hot buttered toast.

2.  Mix a small quantity of Laverbread with a squeeze of lemon-juice, add a
  few drops of olive oil, pepper and salt and spread on fingers of toast,
crackers or crisp-bread for a savoury or hors d'oeuvre.

3.  Thick slices of bread fried in bacon fat spread with hot Laverbread,
topped with chopped ham or bacon, pepper and salt, and if liked, a few
drops of onion juice.

4.  Serve piping hot Laverbread mixed with a squeeze or two of Seville orange
    juice as a vegetable accompaniment to Welsh mutton.

5.  Coat flat cakes of Laverbread with oatmeal and fry win bacon fat.

6.  Mix Laverbread with fine oatmeal, then coat with oatmeal and fry in bacon
    fat.

7.  Eat Laverbread cold with vinegar, as is the custom in Cornwall.