SC - Greetings

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Fri May 21 17:17:20 PDT 1999

>I have a friend who is looking for rose syrup to make cordials. Does
>anyone know what type of store I could suggest she find to buy this
>ingredient?
>
>Clarissa

Rose syrup is known as Sharab al Ward (at least in Lebanon). I've found it
it in Middle Eastern food shops.

Do read the label, though. Some are rather vividly artificially colored
(which i dislike and which some people are sensitive to), some may not even
be flavored with real roses(!!).

Here's a rose syrup recipe from
"The Complete Middle East Cookbook" by Tess Mallos

2 cups water
1 cup sugar
strained juice of 1/2 lemon
a few drops pink food coloring
1/3 cup rose water

1. Put sugar and water in a pan and stir over medium heat until dissolved.
Bring to the boil and add lemon juice.
2. Boil, without stirring, for 10 minutes, skimming when necessary. [Roden
(see below) says "until it coats the back of a spoon."]
3. Add colouring to syrup to acheive a deep pink - it will be lighter when
diluted later
[MY NOTE: personally, i'd leave this out - or add a vegetable colour]
4. Add rosewater and boil 3 minutes longer. Remove from heat, cool, bottle
and seal.
5. To serve, put 2 to 3 tablespoons syrup in a glass and fill with iced water.

[MY NOTE: how about adding a few brightly colored rose petals (that haven't
been sprayed with pesticides) to the glass?]

[MY NOTE: "A Book of Middle Eastern Food" by Claudia Roden uses a bit more
water and a bit less rose water]

Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-Fassi