SC - Put Downs-OT-OOP-MAJOR RANT!!!!!!!!!!

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun May 23 12:50:04 PDT 1999

I was flipping through some old issues of Gourmet last night, looking for
something to bring to a mundane potluck, and I came upon this recipe.  It
seems particularly period, not to mention tasty.

This recipe is from the December 1998 issue, on page 196.

ROASTED SPICED PEARS & FIGS WITH ALMONDS
1/2 cup sliced almonds
4 firm-ripe pears (prefereably Bartlett)
1/2 pound of dried figs (as soft as possible, about 12)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
1 vanilla bean (My note:  Never been sure where/when this is period)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

Gourmet recommends sour cream as an accompanyment, Clotted or whipped
cream would also work well, as would cream fraische(sp?).

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 450 d. Farenheit

In an ovenproof 10" heavy skillet toast almonds in one layer, in middle of
oven until golden, about 5 minutes, and transfer to bowl.

Halve pears lengthwise and cut each half into 3 wedges, discarding cores.
Quarter figs lengthwise.

In skillet, melt sugar and butter over moderate heat, stirring
occasionally, until sugar is melted completely, and remove skillet from
heat.  With a knife, halve vanilla bean lengthwise, and scrape seeds into
butter mixture.  With a wooden spoon, stir in vanilla pod, cinnamon,
allspice, pears, and figs until coated and roast in middle of oven 20
minutes, or until pears are just tender.  Remove vanilla pod and with
spoon stir in almonds until well coated.

Serve warm with accompaniement.

Serves 8.