SC - Folk Wines

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 23 19:57:36 PDT 1999

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Stapleton, Jeanne wrote:

> just now in the campus dining hall, I checked
> on the "soupe du jour" and discovered something I'd never seen
> nor heard of before:  Oregon Vegetable.  (I didn't get any, my
> heart already being set on Cajun grilled chicken sandwich with
> cottage cheese and pineapple on the side.)  Anyway, I investi-
> gated the crock and discovered what appeared to be basic vege-
> table soup, leaning more toward the minestrone family although
> without pasta...with the addition of tofu and artichoke hearts.
>
> I scared everyone by standing there laughing at the soup ladle.
> And then I wondered what the people in Bend, OR would think of
> it...

Ber,
	The folks in Bend would think it was animal fodder. Here in Eugene
most folks would snap it up. Not me- artichoke hearts belong in pasta
salad and tofu is for stretching the egg salad when I'm really broke. On
the whole it is a little like putting pineapple in anything and calling it
'Hawaiian'. Or taking out tomatoes, adding extra onion and some verjuice
and calling it 'Medieval'. :-)

	(The kids and I put up the new pavilion today- it looks smashing.
Now to find a decent job.)

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731