SC - What to call it?

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue May 25 06:35:49 PDT 1999

I think it is in PA Hammonds "food and feast in medieval England", that  it
has extensive descriptions of what would now be described as 'greasy joe
cafes ', stalls which provided the ability to buy pies etc for food.
Although the restaurant idea - being able to order to a table from a wide
range is quite new, the buy a standard takeaway over the counter is quite
old!

k.