SC - RE: Rice

Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com
Tue May 25 05:07:58 PDT 1999

I have the perfect answer for you, AND it keeps it in the family ; ) My
father in law was the director for the Brogdale Trust ( a charity) , which
hold the UK gene banks for apples, pears, plums, cherries, vines etc etc
etc....

Gerry said he had something like 4500 different varieties of apple trees on
site. They can provide information, seminars, root stock - you name it. They
have a web site at http://www.brogdale.org.uk/  - they run a mail order
service etc. I don't know about the legalities of importing stock into
Australia, but I'm sure they can help. I recommend just browsing through
their mail order service .......

And as an aside - if any one is looking for an interesting plum to plant,
the "transparent gage" gets my vote for the most bizarre fruit ( hopeless
for storage though ) - it forms this beautiful huge fruit which is
transparent - when the sun shines through you can see the stone in it etc,
and when you bite, it just bursts in your mouth with an explosion of
flavour.......have lots of wipes on hand :)

Karin