SC - My Business Card (Was: FROM THE...)

Maureen Martin mlmartin at freewwweb.com
Wed May 26 22:04:46 PDT 1999

LordVoldai at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/25/99 11:45:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
> Deborah.Schumacher at iac.honeywell.com writes:
>
> > Why is researching period foods seen
> >  as compulsive?
> i don't view this as a bad thing as long as it is done in the right way.  i
> have very much the same views on religion - believe and do what works for you
> but dont try to coerce others to your way of thinking.

[Mel here--bear in mind that there is a difference between coersion and
a good debate!]

if they happen to
> agree with you, well so much the better.  but if they don't, it doesn't mean
> that they are categorically wrong.  one of the things i like about the SCA is
> that you get what you make of it. if someone want's to make hoopoloid (what
> my laurel called my first costume, before i knew better)  or an italian ren.
> out of gold lame and they are having fun in the game well then it's ok (i'll
> just try to keep them out of my line of vision).  i don't think many people
> in the SCA would ask them to leave because their garb isn't period.  we can
> try to educate them but if they insist then.... what can you really do?  it
> think banishment is a severe punishment for gold lame (well maybe not too
> severe, lol).  the same goes for roast beast and mashed potatoes at a feast,
> as long as it's not poisoning anybody, it's really not _that_ bad.  yes we
> try to recreate but everyone has their limits (of understanding and what they
> can stand to do) and i think we should respect that.  after all even
> authenticity can be taken too far.  i know i certainly wouldn't want the
> chiurgeons practicing period medicine (eating glass slivers for depression
> seems counter productive or at least not helping matters).
>
> in service
> Volodislav ludozertzça z Karpat
> mka chad graber

I would have to agree with this for the most part (esp. the period
medicine; the thought of leaches makes me nausious!).  And I would add
that a very important part of the SCA experience is ambiance.

If we are eating "period" food from Correllware there is something
amiss.  If we are eating mashed potatoes from wooden trenchers IMO there
is less amiss.  In the *Knowne World Handbook,* that vast treasuretrove
(sp?), it talks about verisimilitude.  I try to keep this in mind when
doing anything in the SCA.  I set standards of authenticitiy or
"periodness" for ME that *I* am comfortable with and I try to keep in
mind that they are not the same as those around me may have set.  I try
to know how something would actually have been done, and I pick and
choose as time and fincances permit which art or science I will actually
try to re-create at which time.

The SCA experience is an intensly personal one, and each person needs
different things to satisfy his or her expectations.  With tolerance and
understanding there is room for everyone.

(Whew!  Hey, where'd that soap box come from?)

Melisande
Calontir
Barony of Forgotten Sea