SC -gelatinous properties, was chessboards

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun May 9 18:46:32 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/9/99 7:31:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> << Not to pick nits; I have a vested interest in proving the OED, normally
>  considered the Ultimate Authority on such matters, occasionally, um,
>  less than accurate.
>
>  Adamantius >>
>
> Possibly but I suspect in cases like this that the OED compilers really don't
> think of cookbooks as 'official' sources for the use of words. :-)
>
> Ras

With the possible exception of blandessoure, perhaps! ;  ) . Basically
it's my understanding that whatever the earliest source their compilers
have encountered is the earliest _known_ source, and you can run across
some interesting word origins from, for example, "The Pink 'Un", the old
British equivalent to "The Racing Form". Hardly what one might call an
enlightened and upstanding literary source, but they have used it, I'm
pretty sure. The trouble is that since the first publication (I forget
the exact date, I think in the 1890's), they're only in the second
edition of the blamed thing. They have published periodical appendixes
of new and revised material, though.

My bone of contention with the OED is with their "earliest appearance"
of the word "pomace", which, if only they were a reasonable bunch, would
explain a great deal about those flippin' mead recipes in "Goud
Kokery"...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy