SC - Questions on Sekainjabin (and similar drinks)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 9 19:44:10 PDT 1999

Master Cariadoc replied to my question:
> At 10:55 PM -0500 5/8/99, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> >In going over my message file on Sekanjabin, I notice that the
> >original recipe you quoted used both sugar and honey. Is there a particular
> >reason that you used only sugar in your recipe? Do you still make it this
> >way?
>
> The original appears to be two, with some bits left out. One is sugar, and
> one is sugar and honey.

Yes, you mentioned this in the message I quoted, I believe.

> What is in the _Miscellany_ is a modern middle
> eastern recipe, using sugar, from Claudia Roden's cookbook.

It would appear that what is missing is just the mint. So why not
base your redaction on the period recipe rather than a modern recipe?
I guess I'm just surprised to see you do this since you often say
folks should work from the period recipes rather than modern ones.

So if there are indeed two recipes, one with just sugar and one with
sugar and honey, have you or anyone else redacted the recipe using
both sugar and honey?

Is the result any different? Varying the type of mint seems to make
a fairly big differance in the drink. I would think sugar/honey vs.
just sugar would also. This originally came up because I bought some
mint at my last event to try makind Sekainjabin. I guess I may just
have to try it and see.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: