SC - Pot Luck Part two....

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Tue May 25 16:01:19 PDT 1999

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Karen O wrote:

>         I  prefer to attend Feast that is serving appropriate fare
> (otherwise, any good resturant will do).   and I know a particular Royal
> Peer who asks the menu in advance before making reservations  -- 'coz he
> will only attend if it is *truly* medieval.

	Just a random question- are potlucks (or even the concept) period?
I don't know of any evidence that people brought dishes to a communal
feast (though I suspect there might have been something like that in small
villages), but we do have accounts opf community feasts sponsored and paid
for by individuals, families, guilds, confraternities, etc. I would think
a host mighthave been offended if someone brought food to a feast.
	I tend not to eat at potlucks (if I can gracefully avoid it)
because the three times that I've gotten food poisoninhg at an event
have been at a potluck. My personbal preference. ;-)

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731