SC - Fw: cooking lessons-OOP

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 28 05:26:54 PDT 1999

"Alderton, Philippa" wrote:

> And in Lord Ras' Zoo?
>
> Phlip

I had occasion, several years ago, to discuss the Olympics (during the
Games) with an Italian-American from Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. He was being
snide and was speaking sarcastically of all the medals the Irish Olympic
Team would win. It so happened that that year, the Irish team was
favored to win several gold medals in the equestrian events. I pointed
this out, and he snorted as if unimpressed, so I mentioned that the
smartest thing an Italian had ever done with a horse involved garlic and
tomatoes, and was called "gravy".

Are you aware of the phenomenon of how Brooklyn-born Italian-Americans
(and possibly some others, but I'm not sure) refer to ragu, bolognese or
otherwise, a.k.a. meat sauce, spaghetti sauce with meatballs or
brasciole, etc., as "gravy"?

Later.

A.
- --