SC - trial by fire

Weaver8002 at aol.com Weaver8002 at aol.com
Sat May 1 14:53:30 PDT 1999

But, first, I have received several letters on the list welcoming me.  Thank
you.
(the rock sounds like more fun than the hall.  All the witty people are under
there.)

In July, the Barony gets out the big pavilions and sets them up to see what
kind of shape they are in.  And once we get them up, we have a little party.
The food is supplied by a competition.

The rules as I remember them are:

1) It must be a period recipe or made of period ingredients. (Weaverly's Root
is the final reference.)

2) It must be cooked over a portable heat source -- i.e., grill, propane
cooking ring, Coleman camp stove.  (Note: setting the pavilion on fire will
get you disqualified.)

3) There can be no more prep work done off site than would be done before
leaving for Pensic  (for instance, when I made spiced pork roast last year,
all I did at home was grind the spices)

4) The categories are:  best over all, meat, vegetables, deserts.  (Last year
best veggie was won by a loaf of bread.)

Last year was only the second time we have done this.  Its meant to be a
small baronial thing, but we had lots of very welcome outsiders.  Someone was
heard to say "I didn't know cooking was a spectator sport."

Margherita la Tessatrice