SC - war food

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sun May 23 15:28:55 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/23/99 10:35:29 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
redbear at hollinet.com writes:

<<
 This is Branwen here - and I am contemplating ways to make my camp cooking
more period. >>

I try to precook things like chicken stock and beef stock and freeze in
zip-loc baggies.  I've even been known to pre-cook an entire dish or two and
freeze them.  Things I don't pre-cook are veggies, meats to be roasted over
the fire, losyns or other pasta type things.  Nothing that will get soggy or
change flavor when frozen, nothing including onions, since onions change
flavor rather noticibly when frozen.

I also try to choose a menu that consists of easily stored foods.  I am lucky
in living in the same Barony as my major wars, and to have members of my
Household who don't come until Saturday.  They can always be depended upon to
bring the meat to be roasted for the Saturday night feast, so storing it is
not a worry.

Now that I am not going to be camping with that large household, I am going
to have to change some things.

Cariadoc has some excellent advice in his Miscellany about  camping without
an ice chest.  He and his Lady have been going to War since the Society was
in its infancy, so his experience is vast.  I find the information in this
book has been invaluable since I bought it, so much so that I have begun
giving it as a gift to others.

One thing that is essential out here in the desert is some sort of beverage
high in electrolytes.  Sekanjabin and the other syrups serve this need
commendably.  They can be prepared ahead of time, stored in condensed form,
and diluted onsite.  And to me they taste sooooo much better than any of the
commercial "sports drinks"

Mordonna