OT: Censorship of books (was Re: OT Re: SC - seasonal hazards...)

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Nov 1 12:55:23 PST 1999

>If you take two period
>dishes, prepared by two different cooks from the same recipe with the same
>ingredients, they will come out different.  If you take, for example,
>Adamantius or Ras cooking stupid tv cook on toast, and Puck cooking stupid
>tv cook on toast, from a period recipe, I'm sure we would both produce
>tasty
>period dishes, but I also know that theirs would be correct, and mine would
>not be.  Not that mine would be incorrect, mind you.....just not what the
>collective would expect stupid tv cook on toast to be like.
>
>I sure hope that made sense.
>
>headed home to ponder s'more, Puck

But that happens NOW, with perfectly legible recipes using measured
ingredients.  A woman in our office brought in a "Hershey's Cake" a year or
so ago.  Her mom, who is a great cook, had made it.  We all aquired the
recipe, a photocopy of her mom's handwritten copy. Given the way we deal
with birthday's in this office, this cake reappears regularly, baked by one
or another of us.  It's yet to be the same cake her mom sent.  I don't think
her mom gave us a bum recipe, it's just the differing opinion of "finely
chopped" and "well mixed" and other such statements.  It's one person's 8
inch cake tins vs. anothers 9 inch tins.  One woman doesn't own a sifter.
Another doesn't have a mixed and mixed the cake by hand. One upgraded the
brand of chocolate, others have downgraded.  some people really don't think
there is a difference between shortening, margaring and butter.  None of
these are more correct than the other, just different.

Should we try the testing of differnt Stupid TV cook recipes between several
experienced and knowledgeable cooks list cooks, we'd have much the same
result. All of the results potentially right, none of them clearly wrong.
Wouldn't we?

Bonne