SC - Apicius online

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Mon Nov 1 13:33:54 PST 1999

Liam Fisher wrote:

> On a more serious note, I've seen it before, the Mormon Church made it a sin
> to play any product by White Wolf games, you can't even buy them in in the
> Salt Lake area, the state government made it illegal to sell them.  A friend
> of mine who was a missionary filled me in why his local Elders disliked me
> so much... *grins*

Hmmmm.  First I've heard of THAT and I'm a Latter-day Saint...
Gee... I guess I'd better hide all my notebooks before the Branch
President comes to dinner... *grin*

Actually, while the Latter-day Saint church discourages its
members from getting involved with any sort of material that
deals with that sort of esoteric stuff, but the CHURCH as an
organization has nothing to do with making the sale of White Wolf
materials illegal in the State of Utah.  That can only happen if
the State Legislature votes to do that.  And, despite what some
people think, politics and religion in Salt Lake City and Utah as
a whole are still officially separate.

Unfortunately, if individual legislators are close minded, they
do have the ability to force through such types of legislation.
HOWEVER--the citizen does have the right to challenge such
legislation.  The First Amendment to the Constitution of the
United States provides freedom of speech and of the press that
the State can't stifle.  I'd be interested in seeing the actual
text of the statute that decrees White Wolf materials outlawed in
the state... this situation could just be an urban legend... Has
anyone written to White Wolf about it?

Seriously, ANY sort of mandated censorship other than things
dealing with child pornography is wrong.  I hate a lot of the
stuff that is out there, but I have the choice of whether or not
I choose to view it (Just don't send any smut to my inbox!).
It's my responsibility to self-censor the things I don't agree
with.  It's not my (nor anyone else's) responsibility to ban
books being read by other people just because I personally feel
they don't have any redeeming value. (And I'm not referring to
the Harry Potter books here...)

Bernadette