SC - "Fooles and Friccasees" exhibit at the Folger

Richard Keith keith.78 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 3 08:58:36 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/1/99 7:22:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, kerelsen at ptd.net
writes:

<< I went to Washington, DC ...<snip>...and made a point of visiting the
Folger.  The exhibit  "Fooles  and Friccasees">>

Elysant and I also made it a point to drop by this exhibit on Monday. I
concur. It was a wonderful presentation. I was especially excited about the
pottery pieces of which a couple were virtually unchanged from their 13th
century CE counterparts. The clay sauce pot with its three legs, shape and
handle attachment was indistinguishable from the wonderful pieces created by
Master Hroar.

<< an actual place setting >>

This particular case caught my attention for several minutes. If nothing
else, it showed how short we, as recreationists, fall with regard to actual
presentation and decoration in our SCA feasts.

<<with real  artifacts of the period >>

There were at least a half dozen cookery manuals and a couple of agricultural
manuals that I have never seen referenced in anything I have studied. The
orange custard recipe on one page in one of the books sounded like heaven. :-)

<< The best pieces I saw was a pair of pamphlets regarding coffee...>>

Weren't they fun? Elysant and I were so ingrossed in reading them that we
became a little loud much to the amusement of the patrons who happened by.

All in all this exhibit is a must for anyone interested in historical
cookery. The hostess at the front desk, Ms. Anne-Marie Schiffen was very
knowledgeable and helpful. Library staff was friendly and treated every
inquiry as if it were the most important question they had been asked that
day. I may have even convinced them to relegate 'Fabulous Feasts' to the back
book room of the gift shop instead of displaying it prominently at the entry.
;-)

Ras
(Who also visited Monticello this past weekend and increased his colonial
cookbook collection by 8 new reproductions, as well as obtaining 14 varieties
of herbs and vegetables dating from the early 1700s CE. Sea-kale, a perennial
Cole and the theoretical precursor of cabbages being among them. :-))